Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Des Plaines River - July 6, 2009


More photos from today:
I took my neighbor and his son to the river to do some fishing today. What a great time! Fishing was slow by my standards but there were enough bites to keep us going after them. Just like my previous trip to the river, I struck out at the first couple spots, but Mike scored the first fish which was a nice Bluegill at spot number one. We were quickly displaced from that spot by a tugboat that needed to get into our spot so it could tie up to a barge parked nearby.


First fish of the day

We didn't spend much time at spot number two either. We saw a lot of Gar porpoising which got our hopes up, but we caught nothing but water. At spot number three (which was where we caught most of our fish the previous trip), we finally started seeing fish. We tried throwing some night crawlers at some of the Carp and Drum we saw along the banks but we only managed to spook them.

I changed the way little Mikes pole was rigged and a short time later he was yelling "I got something". He sure did. His pole was bent way over and there was a big fish pulling on the other end. I got the net out and scooped up the fish for him, then handed him the net so he could pose for a couple pictures with what turned out to be the biggest fish of the day. It was a nice Freshwater Drum.
Best catch of the day
A short time later we set Mikes dad (also Mike) up the same way (as I should have done in the first place), and he started catching fish. I caught a couple fish on the crank bait I was throwing too.

One of my fish


Mike caught the first Largemouth of the day.
Mike with a Largemouth Bass
While we were in that area we saw a few snakes including one that was curled up in a tree over the water.

Snake in a tree

Big Mike caught a few more fish in that area before we moved on again. I think I caught one more Drum in the next spot we tried, but since nothing was happening, we moved to one last spot. Here we found a lot of fish.

The guys caught.........

Largemouth, ......


Bluegills,.......


a small catfish,......


Green Sunfish, ......


and more Bluegills.


We would have like to stay longer but it was getting late and I wanted to take them for a ride to see the rest of that section of the river. We traveled between the Brandon Lock in Joliet to the Dresden Lock in Morris.

While riding in the boat we saw a deer along the shoreline with a little baby nearby. We saw the same thing from the car on the way home too. There were all kinds of egrets, herons, and other birds like belted kingfishers all along the river. We missed the turtles and other creatures I sometimes see but with this being the busiest time of year on the river, those creatures usually come out very late in the day.


Two deer by the water

The water temp was 78 in most places with it being in the 80s at the discharges we went by. Just like last time, the bright sunshine wasn't helping us catch fish, but the breeze that developed later in the day sure made it a nice day to be out on the water.


One more fish in the boat

No comments:

Post a Comment