Thursday, April 8, 2010

3 hours at LaSalle

LaSalle Lake - April 8, 2010


I got to the lake right around 8:00 am. Before I pulled into the lot, I noticed the windmills that stretch as far as the eye can see were all turning at a pretty good clip. That told me the lake would be fairly rough. I still think it's funny that so many windmills surround a nuclear power plant, but I guess it's a good thing that they do. As I pulled into the parking lot I noticed that I was the only one there other than a couple shore fishermen.

I launched and headed for spot number one. I was only able to fish the north shorelines because the wind would have made it tough to stay out of the rocks on the east and south banks. There are no west banks other than within the restricted areas and you wont ever see me in there. As it was, the wind was carrying me along the shoreline a lot faster than I would have liked.

My first fish was a nice Bluegill that hit the crank bait I was throwing for bass. A few casts later and I had a 5 lb channel cat in the boat. After that it was slow going. I caught two more small catfish on crank baits and that was it. Never saw a Bass which is rare.

The highlight of the trip were the flocks of Pelicans I saw. I have never been so close to them and I was really kicking myself for forgetting to grab both cameras and my cell phone. I would have gotten some great photos of the Pelicans and the fog.

After switching spots a few times and not getting a bite for 2 hours, I packed up and headed in. I was still the only person dumb enough to brave the 25 mph+ wind out of the NNW and the 43 degree air temp since there were still no other trailers in the parking lot. The water temp was 55 at the ramp and 89 back in the discharge canal. Most of the lake was in the 70s.

2 comments:

  1. Bill, you certainly get an A+ for trying to get in some fishing when the weather (wind) is so uncooperative. I suspect that once the weather picks up a little you will be all over those fish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill I never figured out the post that was lost. Anyway I have had days just like what you are describing in your post. You said you caught a bull bream. I will going on Tuesday and I hope to land some hugh ones in the deep weed beds lining the lake banks. You might want to check out my blog on Wednesday or Thursday. I hope to land some of those bulls.I would welcome you to become one of my followers of my blog. Our blogs kind of parallel each other.

    ReplyDelete